Saturday 7 April 2012

Taking the easy way out?

Saturday Morning.
No this is not a picture of me as a result of this week's DIY but rather an intro to this morning's post here at the Duchy. I am rather tired having stayed up later than usual to watch a splendid 2hr documentary on Queen which was most enjoyable. Anyway down to business. I am raising a 54mm ECW army for garden service curently. I have begun the project,hoped to do more,got sidetracked by 20mm etc etc. I originally decided to do some Royalists but came up with the conceit of doing some Scots as something different...
After all I live a mile or two from the site of the battle of Inverkeithing and nearish to the place of the last stand of clan troops in the battle. So  I have gone for it. Using 54mm Plastic chaps there will be a few fudgings of history- like the use of armour for the pikemen- but who cares between friends? I had thought of converting heads to bonnets with Milliput/GW kneadrite (?) but have not been able to find some so far these hols. So a brainwave/cop-out was devised- 54mm metal French Alpine Beret Heads! I know they may look a tad too regular but may add Gallic dash to my chaps. For better or worse they are ordered and sent for .I will let you know how I get on. I am tempted to scratch some multi barrel cannon too. I think one of the regts will have to be commanded by a Leckie in homage to that fellow in "By the Sword Divided" if i recall his name correctly...

2 comments:

  1. Cracking stuff. I always thing Captain Leckie from BTSD is a great character who shows a bit more humanity in the second series. He has several immortal lines
    "Cavalry? To hell with them. I want guns...big guns"
    "Parliament? All hot air and blether."
    (How sad is that quoting from memory)
    have a good day. Just having my first coffee before the gates open at 8.30 to let in the rabid gardeners of Bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... my Dad lives in Dalgety Bay so I know what i'll be hunting out next time we visit!

    ReplyDelete