Wednesday 16 March 2011

Tradgardstadt 12th March 2011


After an uneventful flight from Scotland and a night spent in a small backstreet hotel quaintly named " The broken kolbold" I walked through the pedestrianised main shopping thoroughfare towards the Duke's Palace. My appointment was at noon and I was determined to be on time...
The current Duke's archivist was most welcoming and showed me into the Palace Library situated at the end of a corridor hung with portraits old and new. He kindly showed me the baroque and somewhat antiquated cataloging system and then excused himself as he had business with the Duke .
Left alone, I finally located the folios and chronicle volumes I needed for my research. I opened the one marked with the monogram of Duke Georg and was immediately transported by the contents to the Duchy of the 1730s . I opened my laptop and began to transcribe the faint brown scrawl which lay before me...

1 comment:

  1. It is often said that in the latter years of his life, Prinz Ferdinand Augustus, Elector of Teutonburg-Fredonia, reflected with considerable satisfaction on the events of 1731, and what he called "the Tradgardland menace"! He had a respect for Duke Georg, as a noble adversary, but I wonder if the history books have been kind...
    Phil

    ReplyDelete